The first one:
What is the chief end of man?
To glorify God and enjoy him forever.
There is much to be unpacked from this simple question and answer but here are a few thoughts:
- We can only glorify God when we have a restored relationship with him through trusting in Jesus and turning from our sin. It's then that we start to learn how to live in a way that's pleasing to him and so glorify him better (albeit still with much imperfection!).
- Enjoying God aren't two words we would naturally pair together. But our ultimate satisfaction is only found in a close and deep relationship with our creator God who made all the beautiful things in this world for his specially and specifically designed beings.
- If we're honest we'd see the chief end of man to be success, fulfilling relationships, material prosperity. There is nothing wrong with these things in themselves but they can only be enjoyed rightly in the context of a relationship with God being the centre.
- Forever is quite a concept but sobering too because if you don't have a restored relationship with God in this life through trusting Jesus, it will be too late in eternity.
- The way to find out anything about God is to open up the Bible and read. Start with Mark in the New Testament and if you're really curious add the first three chapters of Genesis.