Monday, 29 December 2014

Compassion

I have long conversations with a certain girly friend about the word compassion. We keep coming back to it again and again. It's about showing compassion to others, allowing them to make mistakes without judging them. But likewise showing compassion to ourselves.

And, having some time away from the usual routine and responsibilities I have realised that I don't show much compassion to myself. I have very high expectations of what I should achieve in all areas of my life even when things are falling apart around my ears! Feel a failure for the many times I fail because the standards are too high.

But particularly when it comes to relationships with those around me. You see others can mess up and make mistakes and I still love and accept them but I can't..not in the Miss Anna rule book! I have to get it right, treat people right, love right...when I don't I kick myself really hard and it hurts. But I'm learning...slowly. That the love of those around me really does cover all the bumps and ugly bits. And more important, that I have a God who isn't a harsh task master. Far from it; he is more interested in a heart that loves and trusts in him than my performance:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11 v 28-29



No comments:

Post a Comment